Many students are counting down the days until summer break (it’s 13 school days, by the way!), but do they know what they’re doing after school ends? Many students during summer break spend their time at home doing nothing but being bored, and the only “traveling” they do is between Instagram, Twitter and texting.
With these summer ideas, it will be a summer to remember! No more staying home and being boring. This is the time to be active and enjoy the nice weather with family and friends. It’s time to be productive! Try out a few of these ideas below:
- Make Money:
- Get a job
- Babysit (you probably won’t get paid by babysitting your siblings but maybe your friends or neighbors)
- Sell anything you don’t want online (clothes, shoes, video games, ect…) using apps like Poshmark, eBay, or Depop.
Making extra cash is great for teens whether you want to save up for a car, college or that phone you really want but your mom won’t get.
When asked what would be changed in her last summer, junior Jennifer Vivar responded, “I would have gone out more & gotten a summer job at least. It’s productive and can really come in handy when you want something or when you want to go out and don’t have to ask your parents for money.”
- Spend Time Outdoors:
- Go to an amusement park with your friends or family (Six Flags, Kings dominion, Hershey Park ect..)
- Go get ice cream and take a walk to the park (Best ice cream spot: Carvel)
- Go to the pool
- Have a cookout! (Cookout foods you must include: Potato salad, Hamburgers, and Hotdogs)
- Have a picnic
- Go to the carnival
- Watch an outdoor movie (Tons are available in DC, particularly in the NoMa area)
Being outdoors is a great way to spend your summer. You make memories and have a great time.
“I also enjoy going out with my family to amusement parks,” said Vivar. It’s always good to go places you’ve never been and take risks because why not? It’s also way more fun than staying home and doing nothing.”
- Try Something New:
- Learn a new sport
- Stop going to the same restaurant and try something different
- Learn how to bake and cook new foods
- Try out a new DIY
Trying something new is great for learning new skills. “I plan on trying different foods and drinks just because it’s good to try different things,” said Vivar. You can learn new things that can be useful in the future and hey maybe you can find something that you love to do but just didn’t know.
- Things For Fun:
- Go to an aquarium (9431 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910)
- Visit a museum (National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian National Air And Space Museum, and Smithsonian National Museum of American History)
- An outdoor concert
- Go to the beach (Local beaches include … Ocean City Beach and Bay Ridge Beach)
- Travel different states (New York is only a drive away!)
Doing things you haven’t done is a great way to make it a memorable summer! There’s a saying which says “live your life to the fullest” and this is how you do it.
Summer time is to have fun and to do things you enjoy so go crazy!